Tascam Portacapture X8
High-Resolution Multi-Track Handheld Recorder
Tascam Portacapture X8 – The Perfect Choice for Creating High-Quality Audio Content
Innovative, powerful, yet simple
Right after start-up, the large colour touch screen of the Portacapture X8 shows the Launcher which lets you easily select the best audio settings that match your application. Taking advantage of these presets, you have more time to focus on the actual recording without having to struggle with complicated settings.
Should you, however, prefer to set everything yourself, the MANUAL app offers you all the possibilities to do so – including a Recording Guide that leads you through the required settings screens, if you like.
Six different recording apps to choose from
|MANUAL||This is the main app for multi-track recording of up to six audio sources and a stereo mix (2-mix).|
|VOICE||This recording app is ideal for capturing interviews, dictation and meetings.|
|PODCAST||Use this for podcast creation with up to four people.|
|MUSIC||Choose this app for capturing instrumental and vocal performances.|
|FIELD||Ideal for recording nature sounds outdoors.|
|ASMR||The screen visual effect changes in response to the input sound.|
Set your levels with ease
The Portacapture X8 provides a preset level setting to achieve a wide dynamic range utilizing premium dual A/D converters and recording technology with 32-bit floating-point resolution. The result is content with uncompromised audio quality even with low-level recordings. When editing the audio data later, you can increase the level without deteriorating the signal-to-noise ratio (S/N). Also, the internal normalize function can automatically align the level of the stereo mix file after recording.
Combining these features, there’s no need to use valuable creative time finding the right audio level that matches the recording.
USB audio interface for your computer
Utilizing plug-and-go driverless functionality, the Portacapture X8 can be used as a compact mixer with built-in microphones for live streaming via OBS or similar platforms, and also offers direct recording of video narration and dialogue directly to DAW and editing software.
The Portacapture X8 streams up to eight tracks (six inputs plus stereo mix) through USB. By supporting the USB Type-C Power Delivery standard, the unit can simultaneously supply any external microphone with phantom power via the USB bus. For video or audio conferencing, use the Portacapture X8 as your USB stereo microphone and even record the audio simultaneously.
Premium large-format microphones
The Portacapture X8 comes with two high-quality condenser microphones, each with a diameter of 14.6 mm – the largest in our lineup. Employing a detachable mechanism, both L and R mics can be flexibly attached to and detached from the main unit to form A-B or X-Y mic patterns.
- A-B Pattern: Ideal for creating a wide stereo field
- X-Y pattern: Provides extra-clear reproduction with reduced phase displacement between both channels
Combined with the dual A/D converter, 32-bit floating-point processing and sampling rates up to 192 kHz, these microphones capture everything from the quietest rustle to the loudest spectacle.
Wireless remote control (with optional Bluetooth adapter)
The Portacapture X8 can be remote-controlled via mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets (iPad and Android devices) using the optional AK-BT1 Bluetooth adapter and the Portacapture Control app, which can be downloaded free of charge from the Apple Store or Google Play.
In this way, you can, for example, record natural sounds in the wild without affecting the result with your own direct presence or your own noises.
Wireless Timecode Sync with Atomos And Other Devices
Timecode synchronisation (added in firmware v1.20) makes the post-production process much easier, as files can be aligned using a time basis. This is especially helpful with projects using multiple cameras or recorders. Wireless timecode sync is available with Atomos AtomX Sync, UltraSync Blue and other compatible products* such as Atomos Connect and Shogun Connect.
The optional AK-BT1 Bluetooth adapter for Portacapture X8 is required.
*Please visit the Atomos website for compatible products.
Multi-track recording with up to eight tracks
The Portacapture X8 can simultaneously record up to eight audio tracks in total (six individual tracks + stereo mix). Select which inputs are recorded on which tracks, and apply noise-gate, compression, EQ and reverb like you would do on a mixing console. The MANUAL app allows you to set levels and stereo positions for each of the six input tracks and create a stereo mix ready to be published as a podcast, vlog, song or other content.
For the XLR/TRS inputs, Tascam’s know-how utilizing the in-house-developed HDDA (High Definition Discrete Architecture) mic preamps enables high-quality audio recording.
Four XLR/TRS jacks plus in and out for your camera and other equipment
With four professional, locking XLR/TRS combo inputs for mic- and line-level signals, the Portacapture X8 is prepared for most of your daily recording challenges. Additional mini-jack input and output each enable you to hook up your camera or other audio devices. When creating video footage, for example, you can record a guiding track with slate tones on your camera to simplify synchronisation during post-editing of the video material. The level of the camera output is adjustable and can thus be adapted to virtually any camera model.
Of course, there is also a headphones output, which is powerful enough to keep you in control even in noisy environments.
Flexible handling – wherever you feel creative
The Portacapture X8 weighs less than 500 grams including batteries and can be mounted directly on a DSLR or camera or combined with AV rigs thanks to its rear cold shoe adapter. You can also attach it to mic stands or wireless receivers.
Fastened this way, your Portacapture X8 is less susceptible to handling noise and your recordings turn out even better.
- New-generation high-resolution PCM audio recorder
- 3.5-inch colour touchscreen for easy operation and perfect readability
- Uncompromised audio quality with sampling rates up to 192 kHz and 32-bit floating-point resolution – ideal for later lossless post-editing with DAW software
- Intuitive launcher system with pre-set configurations for a variety of recording scenes such as basic multi-track recording, podcasts, music, voice (interviews, vlogs), field recordings, ASMR or manual settings
- Two detachable large-diaphragm (14.6 mm) condenser microphones (can be set for A-B or X-Y configuration)
- Built-in USB audio interface with eight inputs and two outputs
- Included microphones can be used as USB audio source
- Input signals received via USB can be recorded on SD card
- Four mic/line inputs via XLR/TRS locking combo jacks
- Phantom power (24 V / 48 V) can be set for each mic input individually
- Multi-track recording of up to eight tracks (six tracks + stereo mix)
- Recording in either WAV (BWF) or MP3 format
- MS decoder, reverb effect (six rooms)
- Pre-recording feature allows a recording to start before the record key is pressed
- Auto-recording function to automatically start recording based on the input level
- Dual recording allows recording each track in a different file format
- Slate tones can be added automatically or manually to simplify the synchronization of video files when editing
- Marks can be set automatically (peak, level, time)
- XRI function allows information on recording settings to be stored with a BWF file
- Built-in mixer with audio processing including EQ, low-cut filter, compressor, limiter, auto gain control, noise gate and more
- Camera/line input to monitor and record audio sent from a camera or other device (3.5-mm stereo jack)
- Camera/line output with selectable attenuation to send audio to a camera or other external devices
- Audio monitoring through headphones output or the built-in loudspeaker
- Wireless remote control from a smartphone/tablet using an optional Bluetooth dongle (Tascam AK-BT1) and a dedicated remote control app (free download)
- Micro SD cards up to 512 GB can be used as recording media
- Power supply by four AA batteries (Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium), USB bus power or optional AC adapter (Tascam PS-P520U)
- Automatic power select to continue on batteries, for example, during a power outage
- Overload display for analogue circuits
- Solo monitoring feature on the INPUT SETTINGS screen
- Solo monitoring feature on the MIXER screen
- Additional lock (hold) function for the remote control app (Portacapture Control), enabling separate locking of unit operation and the control app operation
- New shortcut to the Launcher from all apps
- Wireless timecode synchronisation with Atomos devices and UltraSync Blue is now supported
BW Price Guarantee
(Subject to conditions)
Call for Price