Handheld Recorder with Wi-Fi functionality
The DR-22WL is a streamlined model that has been designed to provide an easy-to-use interface so that anyone will be able to enjoy high-quality linear PCM recording without difficulty. For recording music played primarily on acoustic instruments, including acoustic guitars and wind and string instruments, this model is ideal. With its easy operation and high-quality recording, this recorder can also be used for applications other than music, including for recording audio when capturing video with a digital SLR camera and for interviews.
Not only does this handheld recorder meet the demand for recording high-quality audio with ease, it also has advanced Wi-Fi functions for full remote control, streaming playback and file transfer.
TASCAM has once again revolutionized handheld recording! The DR-22WL creates its own Wi-Fi network, and a free dedicated app can be used for remote operation without touching the unit. Since the Wi-Fi transmission range is about 20m/65 feet, this feature can be used with the recorder in places that are normally out of reach. The app allows recording to be started and stopped and can also be used to check and adjust input levels from an iOS or Android device. Everything related to recording can be done by Wi-Fi.
In addition, audio can be checked by Wi-Fi after recording. The audio quality can be checked through headphones connected to a smartphone. With operation capabilities and flexibility that exceeds infrared remotes – and reliability that approaches that of wired remotes – this handheld recorder allows freedom of placement that far surpasses that of previous models.
Starting with firmware version 2.0 it is also possible to connect via an existing router or access point. Advantages are that (1) you can use other web services like e-mail or sharing portals at the same time with your mobile device, and (2) Wi-Fi range thus control range might be larger, depending on the router capabilities. A direct connection, in contrast, is ideal when there is no Wi-Fi available or you don’t have permission to use it.
Note: Checking audio via Wi-Fi is intended for use after recording.
- Choose which type of Wi-Fi connection to use: Simple direct connection (no router necessary) or connection via an existing Wi-Fi network (local router or access point)
- Remote control using the free DR CONTROL app (iOS/Android)
- Check recorded audio using wireless playback
Two unidirectional mic units are utilized together for stereo recording in an X-Y format. They are arranged so that their diaphragms overlap on the same axis. X-Y format recording can capture sound with a good stereo image and no sense of emptiness at the centre. Since the mic units will not distort even at high volumes, recording with a great sense of nearness is possible even in high-volume situations.
In addition, a shock mount structure is used to hold the mic capsules. This absorbs vibrations effectively even when mounted on a digital SLR camera.
- Cardioid condenser mics in an X-Y configuration for impeccable stereo recordings
- Designed to handle high sound pressures of up to 120 dB
- Low noise realized through the use of high-performance audio codec
The scene dial has eight preset scenes with different settings. This function automatically makes adjustments according to the situation so all the user needs to do for optimal recording is press the record button. Of course, when “M” (manual) is selected, settings can be adjusted manually. When set to “>”, the user can use the play function to adjust the speed of playback, change the pitch and use other features that are perfect for practice.
The bottom of the large 128×128 LCD shows the next operations that are necessary according to the current conditions. The 4 function keys can be used to make selections for easy operation. This is a handheld recorder that can be easily mastered.
- Scene dial allows instant recall of settings suitable for different scenes
- Large 128×128 LCD and 4 function keys enable simple operation
- Input level adjustment dial designed for usability
In addition to recording, this unit also has functions that can be used for music creation. The overdubbing function allows new sounds to be layered over existing recordings. This can be used to add solo parts to karaoke and to create harmonies by recording the same instrument multiple times.
By using the reverb effect, users can create sounds that are even more appealing using just the DR-22WL.
The benefits of Wi-Fi are not limited to recording. Audio files can be transmitted via Wi-Fi to smartphones and computers. They can also be uploaded to SoundCloud using a dedicated application. SoundCloud is tightly linked with other social networking services. For example, if a recording is shared on Facebook, it will appear on the user’s timeline. By uploading a live recording immediately after the performance, audience members could listen to the concert again on their way home.
Note: An Internet connection is necessary to upload files to the Internet from a smartphone.
- Dual-format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both WAV and MP3 files
- Share audio files from SoundCloud to other social networking services
- Transfer files to computers wirelessly
Even though the DR-22WL is a professional recording device, it also has numerous automatic functions that make capturing high-quality recordings easy for anyone. In addition to automatic recording functions, the unit also has functions that simplify file management. Users can create high-quality recordings without complicated operations.
- Automatic level optimization functions (peak reduction and limiter)
- Automatic track incrementation functions (new file creation) can be set according to the application
- Automatic recording function that starts recording when a preset audio input level is detected
- Automatic mark function that adds marks according to set conditions
- Automatic division function that divides files at pre-set marks (V1.10)
Over-level peaks can be marked automatically
The new Peak Mark function automatically places a mark two seconds before a detected peak (PEAK LED) during recording, which is useful for post-recording confirmation. When there are no problems found after confirmation, the mark can be deleted. In the BWF format (in the same way as with other types of marks) the peak mark can be utilized in corresponding DAWs. To avoid multiple marks for the same overload event, new marks are only set 10 seconds after the previous peak mark.
Recording settings and GPS information can be saved with BWF files
A major improvement since firmware version 1.2 is the XRI (eXtended Recording Information) feature that can be used with BWF format recordings. It stores the recording settings after each recording and allows the user to identify the recorder as well as the settings used for a certain recording. In addition, a smartphone’s GPS information can be embedded while connected to the recorder via Wi-Fi and using the DR CONTROL app. Storing GPS data is useful when working in multiple locations, e.g. when making outdoor sound-gathering recordings. XRI information can be displayed on the main unit, on the DR CONTROL app or on other XRI-compatible models and applications.
Protection for important files
The new Protect function prevents important recorded files from being mistakenly deleted by operating the main unit. Protection can be switched on or off for each recording file individually.
- Supported WAV recording formats: 44.1/48/96 kHz, 16/24 bits, WAV/BWF format
- Supported MP3 recording format: 44.1/48 kHz, 32–320 kbps MP3
- Scene dial for instant setup of common recording applications
- Wi-Fi connection supports monitoring, transport control, level control, file transfer and more
- Easy Wi-Fi direct connection with Android/iOS or through an existing router or access point
- Dedicated Wi-Fi file transfer application for Windows/Mac available
- Unidirectional (cardioid) condenser microphones in X-Y configuration
- Can handle high sound pressure levels up to 120 dB SPL
- Improved microphone preamps for higher-quality audio
- Cirrus Logic AD/DA codec for low-noise, high-performance audio recording and low power consumption
- Recording media: SD/SDHC/SDXC card (up to 128GB SDXC card)
- Dual format recording function (WAV and MP3)
- Four-position low-cut filter (40/80/120/220 Hz)
- Peak-reduction function automatically sets the optimal level when peaks are detected in music recordings
- Limiter for overload protection
- Auto-recording function to automatically start recording based on the input level
- Pre-recording function that can record up to 2 seconds prior to actual record start
- Self-timer recording function
- Mark function (manual or automatic by peak or by time)
- Information on the recording settings used and the current GPS position derived from a connected smartphone can be embedded in BWF files
- Variable Speed Audition (VSA) is ideal for practice and arrangement (50–150% change of speed)
- Key changing function with fine-tuning (±6 halftones)
- I-O loop playback function – ideal for rehearsal
- The resume function retains the last stop position when power is turned back on
- Audio files created on a computer can be played back (only in formats compatible with this product)
- Divide function (manual or automatic by markers)
- Track division function creates new files during recording (manual or automatic by time or by level)
- Files and empty folders can be deleted
- Reverb effect for acoustic instruments and vocals
- An automatic power-saving function that prevents unnecessary use of battery power
- Metronome for rehearsal
- File name format can be set to use a user-defined word or date
- Long-time operation of over 17 hours using the internal batteries
- Stereo-mini headphones/line output with 20 mW output power per channel
- 128×128 graphic LCD with backlight
- Screw hole for tripod attachment
- USB 2.0 high-speed file transfer to/from computer
- Included accessories: SD card, 2 AA batteries, micro USB cable
- Powered by two AA batteries, an optional AC adapter or USB bus power
BW Price Guarantee
(Subject to conditions)
Call for Price